1. The symbol ‘S’ associated with 40S and 60S ribosome parts stands for
A) Size B) Subunit C) Siemens D) Svedbergs
2. Choose the statement which is NOT true about cancer stem cells (CSCs):
A) Epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT) may enhance CSC metastasis.
B) miRNAs are involved in the regulation of CSCs properties.
C) CSCs play important roles in cancer relapse and metastasis.
D) The characteristics of CSCs are different from normal cells.
3. The enzyme responsible for removing the primers after the complementary strand of DNA has been synthesized:
A) DNA polymerase B) RNAse H C) Primase D) Helicase
4. A pseudogene is:
A) a gene with no exons
B) a DNA sequence with numerous mutations and their expression product inhibit the function of a normal gene product
C) a DNA sequence resembling a functional gene but containing numerous mutations that prevent its expression
D) a gene that express a protein that cannot fold properly and consequently unable function
5. Match Group I with Group II
Group I Group II
a) Nalidixic acid 1. RNA polymerase
b) Tetracycline 2. DNA gyrase
c) Erythromycin 3. DNA polymerase
d) Rifampin 4. 50S ribosomal submit
5. Aminoacyl tRNA
A) a-3, b-4, c-5, d-1
B) a-5, b-1, c-4, d-2
C) a-2, b-5, c-4, d-1
D) a-2, b-5, c-1, d-4
6. In almost all mammalian cells, glucose transport occurs by
A) Active transport
B) Facilitated Diffusion
C) Simple diffusion
D) None of the above
7. A Phage stores its genetic information in single-stranded DNA. When DNA was extracted and analysed from this virus particles, 29 percent of bases were found to be Adenosine residues. What percentage of the bases in this DNA were Guanosine residues?
A) 21 B) 29 C) 50 D) cannot determine from this information
8. Which one of the following is known as Kornberg’s enzyme?
A) DNA polymerase III B) DNA polymerase II C) DNA polymerase I D) DNA polymerase V
9. The fluidity of a phospholipid membrane increases when the fatty acid:
A) Chain length increases and degree of unsaturation decreases
B) Chain length decreases and degree of unsaturation increases
C) Chain length decreases and degree of unsaturation decreases
D) Chain length increases and degree of unsaturation increases
10. A technique used to follow the movements of molecules in the membrane of living cells:
A) NGS B) SDS-PAGE C) FRAP D) X-ray Crystallography
Learn more: Biotechnology MCQ Topic wiseAnswers
1. D) Svedbergs
2. D) The characteristics of CSCs are different from normal cells.
3. B) RNAse H
4. C) a DNA sequence resembling a functional gene but containing numerous mutations that prevent its expression
5. C) a-2, b-5, c-4, d-1 (Mode of Action of Inhibitors)
6. B) Facilitated Diffusion (Membrane Transport)
7. D) cannot determine from this information
8. C) DNA polymerase I
9. B) Chain length decreases and degree of unsaturation increases (Membrane Fluidity)
10. C) FRAP
- FRAP stands for Fluorescence recovery after photobleaching